Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:51:36 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underworld Ascendant in the News  (Read 4482 times)

Other-Sara

• Friend of OtherSide

IHaveReturned

Re: Underworld Ascendant in the News
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »

Roland of Yew

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:02:11 PM »

Article on the Escapist.

Just found the article, thanks. If Otherside are still moving ahead with their Improvisation Engine it will be a massive leap forward for rpgs especially, if as the piece states, the game offers a true table top experience.

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 08:38:55 PM »

It may be too much to expect a "true table top experience."

What you're describing is something I wrote about in 2013 as The Central Problem of Computer Roleplaying Games. Which is, computers do an incredibly terrible job of responding to player inputs in the creative ways that a human DungeonMaster can.

Computer RPGs (CRPGs) are completely awful at this. That's not really a strong criticism; it's more a recognition of the reality that computer software isn't anywhere near as competent as human beings at recognizing what players want from a roleplaying game and delivering that to them in a way they can enjoy. A human DM is constantly listening to players and thinking creatively about how to combine their actions and interests to the already-designed gameworld. Do you know of any game software that can do that? I don't!

To my mind, there are two paths to a solution to this problem. One is to design games such that actual human beings are actively involved in crafting world responses to player actions -- basically, "add DMs." I think that's a valid solution for some contexts, but not all. The other solution is to add AI to CRPGs so that they get better at understanding what a player is interested in and delivering that kind of fun within the context of the game.

We tried to do that with Storybricks. It didn't work out, but I'm confident that other developers will do better. Ultimately, someone is going to figure out how to build a DM-in-a-box, or at least a plausibly functional version of that. In that game, when you take some bizarro action in the gameworld, the game will be capable of comprehending where you're trying to go mechanically, dynamically, and aesthetically, and it will incorporate your interests into the consequences of your actions, both immediate/local and expansive/long-term.

But I don't think anyone is there yet. Expecting a real tabletop experience from Underworld Ascendant is probably asking too much.

...but it doesn't hurt to ask. That's how progress gets made.
Pages: [1]   Go Up