Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• January 19, 2019, 12:17:11 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Smart Save  (Read 3247 times)

andth

• Lore Seeker
Re: Feature Request: Smart Save
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 05:24:29 PM »

@andth What if auto/quick/smart saves were clearly labeled as such in the list of games? Maybe even a different color than your normal saves. In Call of Juarez the 5 quick save slots are separated from other save games.

That is the minimum acceptable way to do it. Clicking a checkbox or on separate tabs (all – quick – manual – auto) would be even better…

That's why I'd like to have the ability to delete or move saves from Windows Explorer without breaking anything.

Yes, please let the savegames be in the directory tree so you can copy (and archive) them and use them on other computers as well. In other words: if the game uses a cache file for faster savegame access, it should also be able to rebuilt that cache file based on new (copied for another computer), removed (deleted) or renamed savegame folders/files on the current system.

DawnrazorDCLXVI

• Pioneer’s Progeny
  • 'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 05:32:21 PM »

I recently played the first game in the Stalker series.  One of the MODs available adds a SMART SAVE feature.  Here is a quote, "ESC+S which works like a “smart quick-save”, creating a separate save file with the level name, in-game date, and timestamp each time it’s used."

I have never liked using the normal "Quick Save" feature.  I always Escape back to the menu choose Save, then name the file.  It made a big difference from an immersion standpoint to never leave the game and still get a proper Non-Quick Save.

It seems like such an amazing feature I was surprised I've never played another game that had it.  I read elsewhere the disagreements regarding Quick Save in general. Let's just say IF you decide to use something like a traditional PC Save Game system please consider adding this concept on top.

Anyone know of other games with a save method like this?

Also, could you make it easy to delete save games in bulk directly from the folder in Windows Explorer instead of requiring it be done in the save menu.  Thank you.

In a sense, the Diablo 3 save system did similar, since quitting saved plot progression, while areas reset.

I am all in favor of this, though it should be triggered by in-game items, such as pen and parchment, purchasable from in-game stores.

Perhaps said paper could provide a dual use, also being used to inscribe in-game runes for spell scrolls. :)
"The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist." -Charles Baudelaire

SirhcOran

• Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 09:24:36 PM »

In a sense, the Diablo 3 save system did similar, since quitting saved plot progression, while areas reset.

I am all in favor of this, though it should be triggered by in-game items, such as pen and parchment, purchasable from in-game stores.

Perhaps said paper could provide a dual use, also being used to inscribe in-game runes for spell scrolls. :)

I actually find the Diablo 3 system annoying when I only have 30min to play during my lunch. I wouldn't be able to complete some of the larger areas in that timeframe (being a bit of a completionist) and would find I felt like I had to redo the area every time.

I like the option of "saving" a complete state of the world at any time and coming back to that state when I choose to play again (perhaps with some changes based on ecology effects while out of the world).

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »

I actually find the Diablo 3 system annoying when I only have 30min to play during my lunch. I wouldn't be able to complete some of the larger areas in that timeframe (being a bit of a completionist) and would find I felt like I had to redo the area every time.

I like the option of "saving" a complete state of the world at any time and coming back to that state when I choose to play again (perhaps with some changes based on ecology effects while out of the world).

Yes, most emphatically.

I'd heard people say good things about Just Cause 2, so I picked it up. After giving it a few hours, I put it back down again with a thump because I could no longer stand the way it reset everything in an area (other than a few defined progression objects) every time I had to restart that area for any reason.

It was absolutely maddening for everything I'd done to be erased. I didn't enjoy it in the few hours I tolerated Red Faction: Guerilla; I didn't like it any better in Just Cause 2; and I now know better than to try Diablo 3 because it fails to fully save the local game state (thank you!).

Basically I assume those designs were due to targeting a mostly-action game to consoles, and to (for whatever reason) not implementing a proper level save function when porting the game to the PC.

I'm assuming this won't be a concern for the deeper and PC-targeted Underworld Ascendant.

andth

• Lore Seeker
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2015, 09:32:54 PM »

Resetting areas after save/load remind me of respawning enemies in games like SS1/SS2. I hated that.

I’m absolutely against dynamics that is triggered by reloading a game. To me that would be a serious fun-killer.

The Old Farmer

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 10:27:55 PM »

Divinity Original Sin had a good save system where you could set the number of quick save slots you wanted before they started to over right and it also had a manual save system where you could set up the file name as well as a transition save when moving from one area to another.  A similar set of options might work well for Underworld as well. 

DawnrazorDCLXVI

• Pioneer’s Progeny
  • 'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 01:58:30 AM »

Did Dark Souls 1 and 2 reset every time you had a checkpoint?

I am only suggesting it because it favors an exploration-based approach, where you must explore outward far enough to reach another checkpoint.

This, without forcing you to actually reach a checkpoint to save. It just accentuates surviving long enough to reach another point without triggering a respawn.

This could be done simply by having areas respawn only when dying, rather than having them spawn new enemies all the time--which is, indeed, annoying. :) Ideas?
"The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist." -Charles Baudelaire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up