Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• January 19, 2019, 12:18:35 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: When do Mac users get a build?  (Read 1779 times)

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
When do Mac users get a build?
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »

Which stage of development includes the first build for OSX? Alpha? Beta? Release Candidate?

we're still hoping to release the Backer Beta toward the end of next week.

Will a playable build for Mac be included in the beta or is still a back burner feature?

If you're not going to meet a promised deliverable, you should at least set an expectation of when that deliverable will be received. Right now, the expectation you have set for the entirety of OSX/Linux development is "Ehh.. Maybe later.. It's a lot of work." From the information that has been made available, I have come to the following assumed conclusions.

• Blocking issue: Core rendering components are written against the DirectX API.
  • OSX support is not planned for beta release.
  • OSX support is not planned for final release.
  • OSX support is planned in the workflow for porting to consoles.

Please let me know if any of these are incorrect and help me realign my expectations.
Bica yeshor'click

leezilla

• Digital Protagonist
Re: When do Mac users get a build?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:50:33 PM »

<upvote />

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 12:59:59 PM »

For all Mac users:

First, I just want to apologize for taking awhile to get back to you all.

Transparency-wise, the biggest blocker during the Backer Alpha for Mac builds was the start-up error on launch that would crash because of the Metal shader issue. We started to make a patch for this when we received reports about this issue, and realized that it would be easiest for us to see if we could toggle off the feature that was causing the crash. This tesselation feature is currently still being removed from the build, and I've been checking the daily builds to track its progress.

OSX support is planned for beta and final release. Our publishers at 505 will be assisting us with our ports to console.

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 12:53:03 PM »

OSX support is planned for beta

If final is released without OSX support, will OSX users be given a refund?
Bica yeshor'click

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:50:03 PM »

If final is released without OSX support, will OSX users be given a refund?

From https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005028834-What-is-a-creator-obligated-to-do-once-their-project-is-funded-

When a project is successfully funded, the creator is responsible for completing the project and fulfilling each reward. Their fundamental obligation to backers is to finish all the work that was promised. Once a creator has done so, they’ve fulfilled their obligation to their backers.

From https://help.kickstarter.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005028814-What-should-creators-do-if-they-re-having-problems-completing-their-project-

If the problems are severe enough that the creator can't fulfill their project, creators need to find a resolution. Steps should include offering refunds, detailing exactly how funds were used, and other actions to satisfy backers. For more information, see Section 4 of our Terms of Use.

From https://www.kickstarter.com/section4?ref=faq-basics_creatoroblig

Kickstarter provides a funding platform for creative projects. When a creator posts a project on Kickstarter, they’re inviting other people to form a contract with them. Anyone who backs a project is accepting the creator’s offer, and forming that contract.

and

The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:22:20 PM by smpita »
Bica yeshor'click

leezilla

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:23:46 PM »

<upvote />

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 02:22:36 AM »

We've mentioned before that the PC release will come first, and it's likely the Mac and Linux versions will come a short time after that to provide more time for testing and QA.

I haven't forgotten the most recent reply on this topic. My above question is meant to reference if it gets to beyond what a reasonable person could consider a short time. This is the reason I backed your project at the tier that granted access to all early builds.

From https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant/faqs

I pledged at a tier granting Alpha/Beta/Pre-Alpha/Prototype Build access, and I'm on Mac/Linux. Will I be able to access these builds along with PC players?

When we release the prototype, pre-alpha, alpha and beta versions of the game to backers who pledged at tiers granting access to them, Linux and Mac users will get those versions as well. The reality of development and QA resources may mean that the Linux and Mac versions will be a little rougher than the PC versions, but Mac and Linux users will be jumping into these versions as soon as PC players do.

We now are less than a month from the launch date. How many shaders are left to port? How many other incompatibilities/inconsistencies/bugs remain hidden in the only tested on Windows stacks? Given the substantial non-performance on literally every development build, constant deprioritizing of the Mac/Linux branch, and piles of issues left on the Windows build, a viable OSX build in a reasonable timeframe is unlikely.

Let me phrase my question another way. If playable OSX build is not able to be finished for reasons, will OSE offer refunds?
Bica yeshor'click

ped7g

• Journeyman
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 08:33:01 PM »

So, out of curiosity I did check what is the status of linux ... and found out about backer beta, release date set in stone, "linux after" and few beta videos on youtube.

...and at this point, please OSE, stop worrying about mac and linux for the moment, and work on the windows version like for your lives, because that release date is IMO insane, and your linux/mac porting decisions were too...

I mean, I warned you more than year ago, that you are doing it exactly in the way how it will turn into major PITA, and it was probably too late already back then to do anything about it, except accepting it and proceed with the PITA variant, now this ship sailed many months ago and even your win build needs all the resources you have (or much more, but you don't have that).

I'm just curious how you use your computers at home, and in work, so you are still using MS windows? I somehow didn't fully grasp that before, because it sounds so ridiculous, but that's the only plausible explanation for this path of action. Weird. Must be some kind of masochism maybe.

EDIT addendum:

I have no real problem to wait few months for linux binary (and GOG availability, as I don't have steam account), but maybe do some calculations, if it's not even better to admit that multiplatform things went bust and offer refund to mac/linux owners (some will not even take on it, like me, I will accept I made wrong investment... seems like recurring theme in my life recently :D )... Just don't deliver quarter-baked stuff, make it at least 3/4 or nothing...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 08:36:55 PM by ped7g »

Wintermute_of_CoF

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2018, 08:39:33 AM »

So, out of curiosity I did check what is the status of linux ... and found out about backer beta, release date set in stone, "linux after"

Linux beta is available and playable on Steam.  I was only able to play it for ten minutes so far but it seemed to work fine.  I know there's no saving within the levels at the moment so I'm waiting until I can devote a couple of hours to it before I try it 'properly'.

leezilla

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 08:10:13 PM »

Linux beta is available and playable on Steam.  I was only able to play it for ten minutes so far but it seemed to work fine.  I know there's no saving within the levels at the moment so I'm waiting until I can devote a couple of hours to it before I try it 'properly'.

What kind of hardware are you playing on? I'm on a gen7 i7 cpu w/ 16gb RAM and a 1060 GTX w/ 6gb vram, and it's unplayable. The framerate is < 10 and there are huge sets of textures that are pink or garbled looking.

Wintermute_of_CoF

• Journeyman
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »

What kind of hardware are you playing on? I'm on a gen7 i7 cpu w/ 16gb RAM and a 1060 GTX w/ 6gb vram, and it's unplayable. The framerate is < 10 and there are huge sets of textures that are pink or garbled looking.

I had to check which machine I installed it on to, turns out it's similar specs to yours: g7 i5, 32GB, 1060 6GB.  No missing or corrupt textures that I noticed (although I didn't go very far), framerate seemed fine.  What version of the Nvidia drivers do you have?

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »

Hey guys!

We just pushed an update to the Backer Beta that should allow you to play on Mac!

CHANGES:
 - Mac and Linux update: they fallback to opengl if metal or vulkan don't work, which should fix some of the crash issues we noticed
- alienware DLL bulletproofing for PC / Mac / Linux
- bindings window fix
- mac bootup crash with missing video DLL's has been fixed

leezilla

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 01:30:27 PM »

We just pushed an update to the Backer Beta that should allow you to play on Mac!

I'm actually at a loss. I was guessing we would see this ported to run on NeoGeo or Sega Saturn before Mac. I've installed and only had literally seconds to check it out before I had to stop, but I can confirm that my 2017 MacBook Pro with the Radeon 560 will play this at 3840x1440 resolution on "High" settings @ about 20fps or so. I'll dial back the resolution a bit later to see how it plays at sane pixel counts for the chipset I have.

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 03:56:28 PM »

I've confirmed loading on OSX Mojave.

There's a LOT of texture issues like sections of walls being culled from the rendering.

Bica yeshor'click

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 04:07:26 PM »

Oh no! But on the other hand, glad to see the game's running; we'll have more QA time to look at this starting Monday.

Is it just Marcaul, or EVERYWHERE, by the way?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up