Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:53:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Beta Impressions Here Please  (Read 8881 times)

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
Re: Post Beta Impressions Here Please
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 05:14:12 PM »

It seems we will be getting something similar to Doom in terms of dialog and NPC interactivity.
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

Sarfrin

• Journeyman
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »

It gets about a third of the way through the little UA loading bar and then crashes to the desktop for me.

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

It gets about a third of the way through the little UA loading bar and then crashes to the desktop for me.

Is this on the first loading screen from the main menu? Feel free to send us your output log so we can track this issue!

C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\CompanyName\ProductName\output_log.txt

You can send the file to us at support@otherside-e.com

Infinitron

• Journeyman
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 06:29:31 PM »

It seems we will be getting something similar to Doom in terms of dialog and NPC interactivity.

Thief, my friend. It's always been Thief.

Sarfrin

• Journeyman
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2018, 06:42:06 PM »

I don't get as far as a menu, it crashes on the loading box after the Made in Unity screen. Thanks for replying so quickly, I'll email the log.

OSE Walter

• Otherside Employee
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2018, 06:44:32 PM »

Sarfrin, do you have an Alienware computer or keyboard? Or have AlienFX installed? They did an update that broke our implementation and can causes crashes.

Sarfrin

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »

Sarfrin, do you have an Alienware computer or keyboard? Or have AlienFX installed? They did an update that broke our implementation and can causes crashes.
I don't. I've emailed the log to your support email. This is where it seems to fail.
<RI> Input initialized.

<RI> Initialized touch support.

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '! AmsMultiSceneSetup') is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1775)

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object '! AmsMultiSceneSetup') is missing!

(Filename:  Line: 1775)

UnloadTime: 0.571952 ms
Unloading 4 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
Fallback handler could not load library E:/SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Underworld Ascendant Betas/UA_Data/Mono/LightFX.dll

Edited to add: Very quick responses, thanks! Sure it will get sorted at some point.

Nyast

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 07:31:44 PM »

Guys. The fact that keys rebinding STILL does not work ( in fact you completely disabled the menu entry ), a month before going into release.. this... is absolutely unacceptable. Please fix asap.

Thaumaturge

• Thaumaturge-Art -- My own game-dev website
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 07:52:23 PM »

Hmm... The responses have been interesting thus far. Some things sound encouraging, some a little worrying.

The two voices sound intriguing, and for myself, I think that they could be either good or bad. I'd want to hear them for myself before deciding.

I find the lack of a more detailed conversation mechanic to be a curious choice. Depending on the flow of the game, I suppose that it could work--but it is a concern. Presuming, of course, that the devs aren't planning on adding it in the upcoming weeks--I have the impression that they've been working rather hard of late at adding features!

Why keep something like NPC conversations for a game like this absolutely secret until after release?

It may be less that they're keeping it secret than that it's just not done yet.

The factions do not appear to be physically present.

It would be rather disappointing if they're not physically present in the final game! That is a slight concern to me. :/

You can only save in Marcaul, and even then it won't save your location.

That does sound like rather a nuisance. :/

(Although I do seem to recall some talk that it might have stemmed from technical issues related to the scale of the simulation, or some such.)

Shoggoth7878

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »

Impressive amount of work done in the last two months from what was there before...but needs maybe 4-5 more months of gameplay "un-janking" and tuning  (as well as visual)

--and maybe an optimization consult. Ruins of Gwern is like a slideshow for me (sometimes)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:02:45 PM by Shoggoth7878 »

Glic2000

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2018, 09:37:28 PM »

Still trying to give it a fair shake, but so far the more I play it, the more I hate it. 

It's just so... goofy.    That Cabirus voice over never shuts up.   "I can't tell you how to open that door.  Here's how you get past that door.  Have you performed a feat yet?   Let me know when you've performed a feat.  Being creative will reward you with feats.  Or feats will be your rewards.  I dunno, feats.  Have you been creative yet?  You need to be more ingenious.  Only your creativity and/or feats will defeat Typhon." 

"Muuuahahaha!  Your feats will not de-feat me!"  - Typhon.

I love Stephen Russel, but this is like the worst possible use of him I can imagine.

And the lizardman looks just ridiculous, complete with a goofy Jar Jar Binks style voice over..

I am very, very disappointed with how this project has turned out.   

Vas Deferens

« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2018, 11:32:33 PM »

Still trying to give it a fair shake, but so far the more I play it, the more I hate it. 

It's just so... goofy.    That Cabirus voice over never shuts up.   "I can't tell you how to open that door.  Here's how you get past that door.  Have you performed a feat yet?   Let me know when you've performed a feat.  Being creative will reward you with feats.  Or feats will be your rewards.  I dunno, feats.  Have you been creative yet?  You need to be more ingenious.  Only your creativity and/or feats will defeat Typhon." 

"Muuuahahaha!  Your feats will not de-feat me!"  - Typhon.

I love Stephen Russel, but this is like the worst possible use of him I can imagine.

And the lizardman looks just ridiculous, complete with a goofy Jar Jar Binks style voice over..

I am very, very disappointed with how this project has turned out.   

sigh.  Well I guess we can all still look forward to Cyberpunk I suppose.   This game sounds about as 'Underworld' as Mario Brothers.

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 01:25:58 AM »

sigh.  Well I guess we can all still look forward to Cyberpunk I suppose.   This game sounds about as 'Underworld' as Mario Brothers.

Please bear in mind that while Glic2000's impressions are as valid as anyone else's, not everyone has had the same reactions.

For example, I've played through sections where there's no booming voice in my ear for an entire hour. I've heard multiple different Saurian voices -- in a way, they're sort of an audio match for the different attitudes of the Lizard Men in the original UU games. And while there are still a lot of locations I haven't seen yet, some of the ones I have seen have given me the same vibe as rooms I encountered in Ultima Underworld... only with MUCH nicer graphics.

Ultimately people have to make up their own minds. Mine's still not made up. You're free to decide how you like, but maybe abandoning UA on the basis of a single very brief reaction is slightly premature? ;)

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2018, 02:31:28 AM »

It's just so...goofy.

And as expected the bulletin board is not in a tavern. And the main villain is called "Typhon"??? Seriously??? OS couldn't come up with anything better than plagiarizing from Prey?
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2018, 04:18:41 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20   Go Up