Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:52:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post Beta Impressions Here Please  (Read 8880 times)

Amshaegar

• Lore Seeker
  • Woohoo
Re: Post Beta Impressions Here Please
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2018, 04:59:36 PM »

I am a silent backer, just checked out the latest build on Steam now, since the launch is nearly a week away. The flickering and fog issues have been fixed I see, okay, good!

But what is it with the Barney style lizards? It all looks a lot like it was dough (dosh? Sorry non native speaker) ... kneaded ... why?! I know there have been votings on the look of the lizards, but they don't look like the frog man at all (in my opinion the other version was better)...but yeah ... okay ... the game looks like a child friendly game in Play-Doh style, okaaay.

But: I have a GTX 1080 TI and the FPS "drop" a lot or seem not steady... have to recheck it, but it feels not good.

Punched some lizards in the face, they magically drew their sword (it flew from their hip into their hand ;D) but they were doing nothing. Maybe this build is a 1 year old beta build?!

I also got some experience(?) from killing a lizard from behind, even though it was not stealthy, you can see it in the video below. (it's not listed on YT):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtJuxtSlyWw

Yeah, I am disappointed :/ Comparing this to Dark Messiah, Arx Fatalis, Ultima Underworld and so on ... this looks and feels really sluggish and childish ... but yeah maybe this is far away from the release build next week? Will this be early access?!

Regards,
Amshaegar

Edit:
Okay, checked my backerkit. Seems like this is a pre-alpha build? Then I guess that the release next week will be an Early Access release?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:16:49 PM by Amshaegar »
Stygian Abyss, finally we meet again!

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2018, 05:51:31 PM »

Okay, checked my backerkit. Seems like this is a pre-alpha build?

They reused they pre-alpha key so backerkit only shows pre-alpha released. If you downloaded it recently, what you are experiencing is the recently released beta. This should be fairly close to the final game at launch.
Bica yeshor'click

Nyast

• Explorer
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2018, 06:00:00 PM »

It is actually the latest beta patch from a week ago, and the release next week isn't early access, but the real thing.

Yeah, gonna be interesting..

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #288 on: November 10, 2018, 09:56:59 AM »

This should be fairly close to the final game at launch.

NPCs who don't fight back? Not good.
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

Zanderat

• Hero
« Reply #289 on: November 10, 2018, 03:28:11 PM »

This should be fairly close to the final game at launch.

NPCs who don't fight back? Not good.
Was going to say the same thing.... Disappointing

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #290 on: November 12, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

I believe as of the latest Backer Beta patch, combat is active outside of Marcaul. The Lizard Men WILL get upset with you and try to defend themselves, but more often than not, these are civilians not designed to be fighting you, and more often than not, they'll try to run away.

Nyast

• Explorer
« Reply #291 on: November 16, 2018, 05:10:52 AM »

I hate to be that guy, but "I told you so". On page 5 of this thread I posted this:

If they stick to the November release, they're heading into a 40% or below Steam ratings. Mark my words.

The game is currently sitting at 37% on Steam.

KH

• Patron
  • Avid Avatar of Underworld Ascendant
« Reply #292 on: November 16, 2018, 05:12:37 AM »

I hate to be that guy, but "I told you so". On page 5 of this thread I posted this:

If they stick to the November release, they're heading into a 40% or below Steam ratings. Mark my words.

The game is currently sitting at 37% on Steam.

You are, and were, stating the obvious, though. Hardly prophetic.

This is on 505, and this decision makes it harder for the game in the long term. It takes a lot more to regain favour than lose it in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 05:17:25 AM by KH »

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #293 on: November 16, 2018, 05:26:07 AM »

In fairness, some gamers are also very positive. One example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IV6gqWXNWo
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

KH

• Patron
  • Avid Avatar of Underworld Ascendant
« Reply #294 on: November 16, 2018, 05:41:12 AM »

Yes, all is not lost. It was a horrible decision to release in the current state, but the game has a lot going for it, and the situation can be rectified.

Nyast

• Explorer
« Reply #295 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »

Kindly reminder that the game was scheduled for release in September and we had to lobby hard in order to get a small delay ( 2 months ) for more polishing.

Can you imagine what the game would have looked like if it hadn't been delayed ?

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #296 on: November 16, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »

Kindly reminder that the game was scheduled for release in September and we had to lobby hard in order to get a small delay ( 2 months ) for more polishing.

Can you imagine what the game would have looked like if it hadn't been delayed ?

For the record, as we got closer to September we realized we needed more time too. We paid out of pocket for the extra two months of development time.

ped7g

• Journeyman
« Reply #297 on: November 16, 2018, 10:13:06 AM »

For the record, as we got closer to September we realized we needed more time too. We paid out of pocket for the extra two months of development time.

So now every further UA development is based on the money from sales on steam (or your pockets, but you don't have such deep pockets, and even if you have, from a human point of view, run!)... ? ... sounds very rough. GL.

Sarfrin

• Journeyman
« Reply #298 on: November 16, 2018, 06:21:40 PM »

The beta wouldn't launch for me, but the release version works perfectly. I've played about 40 minutes so far and I really like the way it starts with some chilled exploration of the abyss. It also runs much better on my mid-range system (GTX960) than I expected, albeit without any adversaries appearing so far. So, a good start, but then I got an official discord message about how the save system works. I'm hoping that wasn't quite accurate.

natecope

« Reply #299 on: November 19, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »

I'm so sorry to see the game released like this. I had really really high hopes.
Sitting down to play for the first time, I immediately saw bugs. Very simple, easy to fix bugs that would've been done in a polish phase. Clearly, there wasn't a polish phase.
I started a little notebook writing down things that I thought were broken. I got through two entire pages of notes after about 15 minutes of gameplay.
I don't know if the notes will help in all honesty..  I think I'll let it sit on my drive for 6 months, and see if any patches are out then.
#stillhoping
I mean, is there anything we can do? Hell, I'm a pro Unity dev, and would love to get my fingers in there and fix the obvious stuff. FOR FREE. :l
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]   Go Up