Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:49:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: "DRM-Free" = GOG?  (Read 3923 times)

hummer010

Re: "DRM-Free" = GOG?
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »

Ya, looking into Humble too, could be a great option.
No, Humble is a TERRIBLE option... manually having to go there to check for game updates is crazy town... then there won't be patches, but whole new builds, so we'll have to re-download the game every time... it's really a horrendous option... with no GOG, I wish I could just get my backer pledge back... is that possible?

As a Linux gamer, there's effectively no difference between GOG and Humble.  GOG doesn't do incremental patches for Linux, so it's re-download the whole game every patch, and the update flagging on the website hasn't worked for ages, so you have to manually check if you have any updates available.

A positive for Humble is that they allow for torrent downloading, which helps me overcome my crappy, unstable Internet connection.

Mawthra

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 03:44:08 PM »

Ya, looking into Humble too, could be a great option.
No, Humble is a TERRIBLE option... manually having to go there to check for game updates is crazy town... then there won't be patches, but whole new builds, so we'll have to re-download the game every time... it's really a horrendous option... with no GOG, I wish I could just get my backer pledge back... is that possible?

As a Linux gamer, there's effectively no difference between GOG and Humble.  GOG doesn't do incremental patches for Linux, so it's re-download the whole game every patch, and the update flagging on the website hasn't worked for ages, so you have to manually check if you have any updates available.

A positive for Humble is that they allow for torrent downloading, which helps me overcome my crappy, unstable Internet connection.
I hear ya there... I'm on Windows and I use Galaxy (I know that's a sore spot for Linux users) so updates are often small and automatic for me... having to manually go look at my Humble library every now and then would feel like I'm back in the stone ages... much less than ideal

OSE Walter

• Otherside Employee
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 05:43:32 PM »

Okay, thanks for the feedback about Humble. Looking into Xsolla too, we (collectively) know some people there. Not a ton of options out there.

TrenchKnife

• Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 05:48:46 PM »

Crud, I chose DRM-Free   AND THEN  read this thread .....

yeah, I'd take Steam over some others ...  oh well.

so, now I have to go figure out what DRM-Free really is. Is that a good old DVD/CD copy? 

what's gonna come in my box release, 200 5.25 floppies?

0xdeadbeef

• Pioneer
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »

Okay, thanks for the feedback about Humble. Looking into Xsolla too, we (collectively) know some people there. Not a ton of options out there.
Choosing some crippled DRM free approach with unknown long term availability, no proper update system etc. is a kick in the teeth for everybody who backed to get a DRM free copy. For other games I backed, I actually got Steam _and_ GoG keys. As Steam and GoG take the same cut etc., it would really need some explanation why Otherside Entertainment decided to upset the DRM free backers by not selecting GoG. Imagine the reactions if you would choose Uplay or Origin over Steam for the DRM backers.

Zanderat

• Hero
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2018, 08:51:35 PM »

Hi folks, our "DRM-free" version with not be via GoG. Finalizing another option now and will update the thread when we know definitively.

Sam was sending around a question via BackerKit so we know how many keys we would need. Sounds like we need to be clear that it's not GoG since that will impact some people's decisions.
WTF?  Another terrible decision.  Who is making these decisions?

Zanderat

• Hero
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2018, 08:54:34 PM »

Crud, I chose DRM-Free   AND THEN  read this thread .....

yeah, I'd take Steam over some others ...  oh well.

so, now I have to go figure out what DRM-Free really is. Is that a good old DVD/CD copy? 

what's gonna come in my box release, 200 5.25 floppies?
Same here.  So pissed off right now....

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »

Who is making these decisions?

[SPECULATION WARNING]
With regard to this decision, probably GoG. It's apparent that OSE is in something of a disaster recovery mode looking for a replacement. This leads me to believe that it was not their choice, and that their application was rejected. At least they're still trying to fulfill the core of the promise and seeking out a DRM free distribution platform.

If their application was rejected, perhaps they could reapply/appeal the rejection -- but this close to publish date, there's probably not enough time.
[/SPECULATION]
Bica yeshor'click

Starker

• Digital Protagonist
  • Taffer
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 10:33:01 PM »

Yes, there's no reason OSE would not want to release the game on GOG.

That aside, though, why not give the backers both, a drm-free and a Steam key? I think that would alleviate at least some of the disappointment.
When I grew up I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 01:09:55 AM »

I don't want to try to speak for OSE, but from comments that Sam and Walter made on one of OSE's Discord channels, it appears that this was driven by some unacceptable requirement suddenly being made by GOG. It's not OtherSide changing their minds at the last minute.

They promised a DRM-free option, and I expect they'll find a way to honor that -- just not through GOG. (At least, not right away.)

Doctor Sbaitso

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 01:54:33 AM »

That moment when your own Marketing VP communicates in a public forum that GoG curated you off the platform.  This is like the twilight zone in here.

Starker

• Digital Protagonist
  • Taffer
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 04:05:26 AM »

Negotiations can break down for a variety of reasons. There have been instances before of GOG hardlining developers on things like pricing, etc.
When I grew up I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

midsummer

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 04:33:04 AM »

That moment when your own Marketing VP communicates in a public forum that GoG curated you off the platform.  This is like the twilight zone in here.

A colorful first-person indie action-adventure game of the skeleton-bothering variety? Developed by people somehow involved in the Bioshock franchise in the past? Game gets turned down by GOG, devs say as much in the forums? Maybe they just didn't like City of Brass.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/301840/discussions/0/1480982338965950621/

EDIT: I've understood that GOG turns down the vast majority of submitted games. You submit your game, hope for the best (for an unknown length of time), and either pass their internal dice rolls (or however the process goes) or not. And devs usually don't know how it's going to go before the game is actually finished.

I have no real knowledge of this, but I'd expect GOG to get so many submissions that they just send boilerplate rejection notices to most developers, unless they are interested but have some specific conditions they'd like the devs to meet before approving the game for sale.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 04:46:22 AM by midsummer »

JAAHAS

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 07:04:00 AM »

I really don't care about simultaneous release, so if that really is the only reason for seeking another option, then just let us choose the option to not receive a key until the GOG-version is available.

Zanderat

• Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:05 AM »

GOG sells both UU's.  Why wouldn't they want UA, as well?  Makes no sense that they would curate UA off their platform.

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/did_underworld_ascendant_get_shunned_on_gog/page1

Lastly, how do we switch back to a STEAM key?  At least, we would get reliable updates there rather than some still yet to be determined non-GOG option.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 07:30:56 AM by Zanderat »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up