Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:52:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: LAUNCH DAY INFO! (Will Update)  (Read 1608 times)

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
Re: LAUNCH DAY INFO! (Will Update)
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 09:10:24 PM »

Really enjoyed the opening exploration. Then I had to quit and saved. Is that really going to erase everything I did?
Bica yeshor'click

Matteo

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 12:31:57 PM »

Hello and congratulations!

I was waiting 15 of November to play Underwolrd Ascendant and I saw on Steam there is an offer of -15% of the price and some goodies (Buy now and receive the following for free: Underworld Ascendant - Underworld Map, Underworld Ascendant - Companion Creature: Vorpa and Underworld Ascendant - Companion Creature: Mana Leech. Offer ends November 21, 10am Pacific Time.)

Very nice!  :)
BUT: I discovered the Linux version is not (yet) available...  :(

So my questions are: when it will, will also the offers be renewed for Linux users? Is there a (little) playable demo available for Linux, to test if the game will work on my system?

Thanks in advance!

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 01:22:16 PM »

when it will

From https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=6148.msg35251#msg35251

Hi folks, just wanted to give you an update on the timing of MAC/Linux builds. We're targeting to release them within 30-45 days from launch on PC.

Note the phrase targeting to release, so maybe take that estimate with a pinch of salt. I brought plenty.
Bica yeshor'click

OSE Walter

• Otherside Employee
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 02:01:44 PM »

Yeah, I chose that word carefully. The quick update on Mac/Linux is that, while we have builds on those platforms that run, they need work to clean up a bunch of issues, some of which have been noted on these forums. We're talking with a few external experts to help us out not only for their expertise, but also for their time so that we can get more done on them in parallel with the other work we need to do on UA.

leezilla

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

As a Unity developer myself, who has to maintain Win/Lin/Mac/Android/iOS compatibility in all of my client work... I find this whole thing breathtaking. I also recalled seeing someone suggest this a while back, and found this post in another old thread:

When errors pop up in the compiler as we build for that platform, a lot of those bugs have already been fixed in the main branch. Unity KNOWS there's a potentially game-breaking bug, so it stops the build process until we address it. That means an engineer has to be constantly cross-referencing whether the bug noted in the Mac/Linux version has already been fixed

Wait, am I understanding you correctly that Underworld Ascendant for Windows, Linux, and Mac are 3 separate code bases? That's not how you use Unity. Please get someone familiar with multi-platform implementations of Unity to help you clean up and configure your environment. Trying to maintain 3 code bases is a waste of labor and will negatively effect all 3 products quality.

Also, this may be helpful. https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

**EDITED TO ADD:** Preprocessor directives are a hell of a drug.

Matteo

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 11:22:52 AM »

Hi folks, just wanted to give you an update on the timing of MAC/Linux builds. We're targeting to release them within 30-45 days from launch on PC.

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, I found the "30-45 days" info too and I know this is just an extimate time, but my question is: will launch offers be renewed for Linux users, then?

And: is there a (little) playable demo available for Linux, to test if the game will work on my system?

Or: the only solution is to buy UA now and to hope in two months UA will work on my system?

ped7g

• Journeyman
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »

Hello and thanks for your reply. Yes, I found the "30-45 days" info too and I know this is just an extimate time, but my question is: will launch offers be renewed for Linux users, then?

And: is there a (little) playable demo available for Linux, to test if the game will work on my system?

Or: the only solution is to buy UA now and to hope in two months UA will work on my system?

There was beta for backers, but as usually with linux, it had quite some issues with particular configurations, and worked well on others, so they are currently trying to address those pesky details which make it fail on particular combination of feature/hw/version to make it work on most common distros.

Also they are still trying to get past the GOG curation, which will surely require *buntu support (probably at least 16.04 and 18.04, or 18.04 for sure), so if you have *buntu, you can probably count on some sort of support from OSE (as long as you have also reasonable HW).

But because of so much polishing is going to happen before the linux release, I don't think playable demo to test "if it works" would help *now*, with the older build, which is known to not work on this and that.

Didn't somebody already try wine and current win version? Maybe it works good-enough to use that as backup solution in case the native version doesn't work for you?

I'm not going to try myself, as I'm still waiting if GOG will eventually happen (too lazy to create steam account), and also I gave up with wine some time ago (unless really desperate to play something and it works well in wine), I will rather wait for native one, and see then (but as a backer I don't need to worry about launch discount, I already paid $37 for UA).

sluangkhot

• Administrator
  • OSE Community Manager
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »

If you buy UA now during the Week 1 period, when the Linux version releases, you'll still have your Week 1 rewards!

Matteo

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 10:58:56 AM »

Ok, I'll do, thanks.

Matteo

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 04:55:40 AM »

I bought it on Steam, just another question: will it be installable also without Steam, with that registration? How?

ped7g

• Journeyman
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2018, 06:37:50 AM »

I bought it on Steam, just another question: will it be installable also without Steam, with that registration? How?

No, the game itself is DRM-free once *installed*, but the download+installation are part of steam package and under Valve' control. At this moment the obvious official way is to install steam client, log in into it, and do the download+installation from there. After it is installed (not sure, if that is sealed by the first run or just installer finishing), it should work without steam client and/or connectivity.

Considering the game itself should be DRM-free, you can then probably backup+restore the game also on other/new PC, depending on how good your backup tools are, and if they manage to restore everything what the game needs for the run.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up