Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:51:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: REviews are coming in....sort of....  (Read 2169 times)

Sandro

Re: REviews are coming in....sort of....
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »

Sandro, I'll have what you're on... ;)

Well, I just came off another epic rotation of Heroes of Might and Magic 3: Armageddon's Blade, so I am PUMPED!

I even finally updated my avatar pic to Sandro from heroesmightmagic2, yes Sandro is a main character throughout not only heroes, but the main mightmagic crpg series (in case anyone missed it these past 4 years). ;)

...Dawnrazor, Flatfingers, Trenchknife and others (Nodezsg, CyberP, MG etc etc)...

Speaking of CyberP, I was/am so looking forward to what he in particular has to say about this game, now that it is lept into the limelight.

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »

Another negative review, strongly criticizes the AI (I agree):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz43f_r_U6M
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

Flug

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2018, 06:15:21 PM »

Infinitron...not necessarily...you have the Voice Overs as a bunch of text on scrolls scattered through the dungeon or whatever. Not a lot of work, gives a flavour of the Underworld, and saves a bunch of money on voice-acting and implementation. That's just one example.

You don't always have to improve or change..sometimes you can just keep things pretty much the same under the hood, and update the presentation, or tweak. Case in point: the runes.

And yes, dumbing down is always an easy accusation to level. But what if it also happens to be true? Bright blue-lit signposted levers, for example....overly bright colours etc. Add the table-top miniatures look to this, and you are asking for trouble. Something has to give. Taste and judgement have to get a look-in, and that again means a good sense of judgement. You get dumbed-down when you tried too hard to appeal to too many people, or if you import too much from other games (because3 the atosphere doesn;t caqrry over, just the mechanic). The idea, that was sometimes voiced near to release, that it's somehow hardcore and for fans of the original...now looks merely quaint, or at worst a sales tactic.
It's precisely the fans of the originals who are most frustrated, it seems.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 06:19:58 PM by Flug »

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 06:21:35 PM »

Metacritic - 3 reviews: 2 negative, 1 mixed.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/underworld-ascendant
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »

Sandro

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 09:35:17 PM »

I wouldn't like to think I represent anyone else (okay, maybe I line up with some of the older ones who have a huge affection for the originals).

Truth be told, the reason I consider you to be the one steering the flagship, is the simple and relentless fact. One that you have already agreed with yourself on:

Each and every time, as each passing fire came and was "put out"/discussed exhaustively/forgiven/etc, as the crowds began dwindling and then inevitably disappeared, at worst for many months, with no solace, there was but one sound lingering on as night once again fell upon the horizon's vast seas... the distant foghorn of that old curmudgeon ship.

8)

Infinitron

• Journeyman

MasterLobar

• Wanderer

Flug

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »

Sandro ... Foghorn, you mean 😃

... Or holding on for grim death...

The thing is, it proves a point. We were never really on th de running as any sort of force for change... more like useful nose generators. This stings a little, though not so much as the game itself. No self pity strings attached... It's just a shame it had to be this s property.

The Gamespot review is par. It's not as if they have much of a choice.

Reading some dev comments, I'm not sure everyone fully gets it, or wants to get it. There's always been this sense of unreality, and some of it survives even now.

phuhque

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »

One thing which I remarked on the codex is that the character creation raises your expectations, by letting you choose one of three voice styles for your own character. Now the million dollars question: does anybody remember any place in the game where your character speaks

He also yells when he shoots the bow.  Granted, pointless and stupid when trying to sneak..

johnny5

• Journeyman
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 01:01:11 AM »

Honestly I think it would be much better if they just scrap the game and learn from this.  Unless they spend years patching this nothing is going to make it what it should/could have been.  I think its just a waste of time and effort patching this.  Scrap the game, take the tech fix it, create the game that it should have been and forget about this.  Once out with version 2.0 of this game give it to anyone that bought/backed this one.

TrenchKnife

• Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

I had hoped there be something like this. maybe not a full ditching but a living and "learning" dungeon. one that would have DLC and grow and change and correct with the times.

Flug

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 10:17:58 AM »

... I'm not sure that's possible, or desirable. Even if the will/money is there (and I don't think either are) then you are still left with the problem that it is never going to be an Underworld game, no matter what is said about modernisation and 'emergence'. You can't make apples into oranges just by painting them and calling them oranges.

They should patch it up a bit and move on. I think this is what they'll end up doing. If it had been better received there may have been more incentive. But it has been plucked, cooked, and carved up.

Infinitron

• Journeyman
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 04:20:50 PM »

OOF: https://techraptor.net/content/underworld-ascendant-review

Even if you can get past the countless technical issues, Underworld Ascendant is a poorly designed abomination that ruins the Underworld series even to those who never heard of it. This is the final nail in the Immersive Simô coffin. Bury it and salt the earth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:25:30 PM by Infinitron »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up