Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:51:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Poll

If you had known how the game is going to turn out, would you still have backed it in the KS?

Yes
- 17 (34.7%)
No
- 31 (63.3%)
Undecided
- 1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Knowing what we know today, would you have backed UA?  (Read 1180 times)

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
Poll: Knowing what we know today, would you have backed UA?
« on: November 28, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »

I would be interested in how people think about their contribution to the KS.

If you had a time machine and had to decide again knowing how the game is going to turn out, would you still have backed it?

I have a feeling that many backers are going to vote no, but maybe there is a silent majority who isn't posting much.

Please backers only (sorry, Flug, but you're still kindly invited to comment/post).
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

nikolascc

• Pioneer
Re: Poll: Knowing what we know today, would you have backed UA?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:41:01 PM »

Absolutely not lol. Honestly, patches won't fix this game. It's not a matter of bugs, but of the fundamental game design that destroys this game. There are plenty of absolutely great games with bugs. Imagine if they were transparent in their kickstarter campaign; "In Underworld Ascendant, you the player take generic missions from a bulletin board then get teleported to a separate dungeon that resets after every mission! You also cannot save the game!"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 02:46:23 PM by nikolascc »

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:00:39 PM »

No. I backed, specifically for the opportunity to participate in the development process and watch the project grow. The first, and only, playable build for my OS wasn't published until a couple weeks before final release -- and that crashes at the end of the tutorial. But hey, at least it opens... right?

This doesn't even address the swath of other issues the game is facing.
Bica yeshor'click

Nyast

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 03:07:55 PM »

You can't make a Kickstarter and sell the idea of a "spiritual Underworld sequel" and around launch, casually announce "oh by the way, we meant to make a Dark Messiah game, sorry you didn't get the memo, lolilol".

Voted no.

Curratum

• Pioneer’s Progeny
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 03:08:08 PM »

This easy pickings, you're not going to get any positive votes on this, why bother? :D

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 04:29:38 PM »

For the record, as expected I also voted no, because no NPC dialog, underwhelming story/lore and no connection to Ultima (and very loose connection to UU1).
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)

Starker

• Digital Protagonist
  • Taffer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 04:37:17 PM »

Yes, I would have. For me, it's less about getting UU 3 and more about getting LGS 2, and I'd fund any chance for that, no matter how remote.

Also, I do not think the game is a lost cause. I have had fun with it even in its current unfinished and buggy state and I think it has a lot going for it even if it falls short in other aspects. At the very least I think that, when they do work, things like the atmosphere, the sound design, the level design and some of the gameplay systems show a lot of potential for an absolutely great immersive sim.
When I grew up I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Frogacuda

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »

I backed it for a very low amount, and enjoyed watching the project unfold. So I guess so.

ped7g

• Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 05:36:37 PM »

This is sort of unfortunate exercise of pointless what-if. You never know what will be the result (ahead), and would I be again in similar situation - project with similar pitch and names behind - I would probably back it again.

Would I know exactly how it would pan out in the end, then no. I'm glad they could try and show, but in my opinion this is from KS campaign point of view beyond salvageable (the game can probably stand on it's own as spin-off, but the "spiritual successor" ... no, that's maybe even slightly insulting).

Katana1000S

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »

Its also the wrong forum place to ask this, its obvious some backers here still can not let go of what this game was promised, its clutching at straws still or they still have heads firmly buried in the sand, there is far to much ("I cant be wrong") egotism invested by some in these forums to make a true poll prediction.

Some folk just can not concede they were wrong, they cling on ... for whatever reason, its totally bizzare :(

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »

Just as Starker said. There's a real difference between "failed to meet expectations" and "deliberate cash-grab." There's one recent game that falls into that latter category IMO (and I won't be backing any further projects from that source) -- Underworld Ascendant is not that game.

So I have zero regrets about doing my small bit to help OtherSide get off the ground. That's not a failure to see -- it's properly seeing the bigger picture.

Brodo Swaggins

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 10:36:15 PM »

Just as Starker said. There's a real difference between "failed to meet expectations" and "deliberate cash-grab." There's one recent game that falls into that latter category IMO (and I won't be backing any further projects from that source) -- Underworld Ascendant is not that game.

So I have zero regrets about doing my small bit to help OtherSide get off the ground. That's not a failure to see -- it's properly seeing the bigger picture.

Hear hear! I'm with you. I loved the process, was disappointed by the final product, but am still pumped I got to help OSE boot up. I just hope they can do something positive with the momentum.

Out of curiosity, what was the cash-grab regret, if you don't mind sharing?

phuhque

• Digital Protagonist
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:40:14 PM »

Truthfully, I had expected better and a lot more.  The initial beta which I was allowed to see was a disappointment.  I was hoping for something a bit "darker" and less "cartoony".  Also this has a cookie cutter feel. Every time you do a quest, it is the same dungeon, only with very crappy loot.  It is nearly pointless to look in chests, or search containers.  The breaking of boxes feels so much like mini-games every time.  I was expecting at least SOME of the digital awards at release.  Having none at all felt akin to an insulting slap.

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers

nikolascc

• Pioneer
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up