Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• December 16, 2018, 06:51:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does repairing exist?  (Read 435 times)

smpita

• Digital Protagonist
Re: Does repairing exist?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »

Kickstarter items should not degrade (if they do, that's a bug). Magical items will not either and you might be able to infer if an item is "magic" based on the tooltips (admittedly probably could be clearer now that the question has been raised). There is also a tier of "hardened" armor that has such a high durability that it will take a very very long time to degrade.

Thank you. This contains all the information I wanted to know and then some. If there are any additional issues in this thread, just lock it.
Bica yeshor'click

Flug

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 12:21:23 PM »

Repairing is an interesting idea because it's a form of any 'DIY' mechanic, from weapon manufacture to spell alchemy. But it's not just the cost of implementation...it's all the additional time to balance and test and QA. But even a simplified form would take some doing. I like the anvil 'repair lite' idea though, very simple, and relies mostly on imagination...

(For those coming unstuck...have you tried Erudite? Can 'woke' status be 're-woked'? Can puddles move by themselves?)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:27:44 PM by Flug »

Brodo Swaggins

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »

Not drunk, just very pissed off by you two paid pair of shils ... you must be? to look guard over this grave of a stupid idiotic GAME .....POOR Swaggins boy ... tried to pass himself off as a professional Games tester, he has not been laid for years ... I hatge these fudgeing teenage shills, they go from one to another

Lololololol

I've never considered working as a graveguard, but hey, if I can help keep buzzards from crapping on any mourners, sure, I'm down to be a part-time, frighteningly youthful scarecrow

re: repairing, I don't mind the lack of a repair mechanic - I mind the total lack of feedback. Players need to know if/when they should get attached to their gear - and also when it's on its way out. A thruline in some reviews (and my own experience) is that there is almost no sense of our moment-to-moment efficacy in combat.

It's why some players took down skeletons in a few hits, while others whacked away for minutes on end, not realizing their sword had broken at the beginning of the encounter - and then blamed the game for having unreasonably difficult enemies.

I get that the team doesn't want to clutter the screen with numbers, but right now we need SOMETHING. The diminishing glow of skellies is just not adequate at the moment.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 02:19:19 PM by Brodo Swaggins »

OSE Walter

• Otherside Employee
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »

re: repairing, I don't mind the lack of a repair mechanic - I mind the total lack of feedback. Players need to know if/when they should get attached to their gear - and also when it's on its way out. A thruline in some reviews (and my own experience) is that there is almost no sense of our moment-to-moment efficacy in combat.

It's why some players took down skeletons in a few hits, while others whacked away for minutes on end, not realizing their sword had broken at the beginning of the encounter - and then blamed the game for having unreasonably difficult enemies.

I get that the team doesn't want to clutter the screen with numbers, but right now we need SOMETHING. The diminishing glow of skellies is just not adequate at the moment.

We're working on this. E.g., weapons will look worn as they wear down and I heard today that we even have a visual state for "broken" so that it should be obvious you won't do more damage. E.g., a sword broken at the hilt.

Visually indicating that enemies are damaged is also being looked at. I'm not sure yet what the plan is but the "darkening" doesn't seem to be working very well.

Some combat fixes that have gone into the internal build include the weapon visual damage, improved visual FX when landing a hit, improved sound FX as well, weapon balancing, small and big hit damage balancing (so you don't just do the big hit every time), fixing a couple of broken AI VO and improved AI responses so they don't look so stuck (although more to do on that). The team is also figuring out how to make combat more fun and visceral in the beginning of the game, including potentially given more skills up front to give you more variety. They are also looking to how they can revise enemy behavior so that maybe you use different strategies with different enemies. Some of that stuff won't make Update 1--if it will take longer we'll put that in Update 2 for January.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up