Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• January 19, 2019, 12:17:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your "Best game for it's time, maybe ever"?  (Read 529 times)

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
Re: What's your "Best game for it's time, maybe ever"?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 01:38:30 AM »

Just a quick note on Dying Light -- it turns out that this game, like Red Faction: Guerrilla, which I also bought without checking first, is checkpoint-save only.

:-\

Ten minutes after finishing the Prologue (consisting of excessively ornate menus and NPCs constantly yelling in my ear to order me around), I tried searching a couple of dead bodies that I'd lured into the edge of an electrified puddle. The first one went fine; on the second one, the game's Search_Body animation pulled me into the water, I died instantly, 120 Survivor points gone, all the crafting stuff I'd picked up gone, location reset far away back where the game had decided for me that I was worthy of a checkpoint save.

The world does seem big and filled with stuff. And from the little I saw of crafting, it looked like a smartly implemented feature for this kind of game world.

But I never finished more than the first bit of RF:G because I got frustrated at frequently losing so much progress. I'm afraid Dying Light is echoing that experience.

Another confirming instance for me of "exploration fun and survival fun interfere with each other." I may come back to this one after I forget how grumpy I am at it; it certainly doesn't seem to be a badly-made game. Not my thing, but maybe I just have to try to gut it out some more to see if there's anything useful to learn from it.

It's going to break my heart if System Shock 3 is checkpoint-only....

OSE Walter

• Otherside Employee
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 01:19:46 PM »

I should have given you a heads up about that. I'm not a fan of their save system (or lack of it) either. That said, you can do a few things to make it less annoying:
  • You can force a save by entering a new area. Taking the elevator in the tower is a good way to do that
  • I've also read that you can force a save by changing game settings. Then change it back again to what you had
Also, if you're inclined, you can use the checkpoint system as a sort of "fast travel" system since the game doesn't have one on it's own. The game will respawn you near your active quest objective. So you can change your quest objective to one closer to where you want to go, quit the game, then restart. It's not really in the spirit of an open-world sandbox game, but can be a nice time saver.

Flatfingers

• Lore Seeker
    • Theory by Flatfingers
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:50 AM »

Interesting tips -- thanks!

And I'm not blaming you one bit. You recommended a well-made game; it was my responsibility to research it fully before picking it up. The only disconnect is between my personal taste and Dying Light's design choices, which isn't anybody's fault.

I really shouldn't have gone into the original quarantine area so soon, anyway. :D

DawnrazorDCLXVI

• Pioneer’s Progeny
  • 'Tis an ill wind that blows no minds.
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 06:42:10 PM »

Checkpoint saves can be a blessing and a curse. They are not for SS3, though. Agreed.
"The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist." -Charles Baudelaire

MasterLobar

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:27 AM »

UW2
"In our days of beginning, we must stick together and not allow petty grievances to stand in the way of respect" -- Writ of Lorne

I try to follow Rapoport's rules for successful critical commentary. (Update June 2018: not anymore)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up