Otherside Entertainment User Community

Otherside Entertainment User Community

• February 23, 2019, 05:15:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

"IT'S A NICELY DESIGNED GAME AS LONG AS YOU DON'T WANT ANY MEANING IN YOUR LIFE."-TIM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Underworld Ascendant lore tied to Shadow of the Avatar?  (Read 395 times)

curtwjen

• Explorer
Underworld Ascendant lore tied to Shadow of the Avatar?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:27:40 PM »

I noticed something interesting today when I was reading/listening to the memora logs under "Secrets".

The head of the elves said that they were shaped by the Obsidians as slaves (I think she said slaves) and that's exactly what the Tracy Hickman novel describes as the background for Shadow of the Avatar.

Can anyone shed any light in the connection?

Wintermute_of_CoF

• Journeyman
Re: Underworld Ascendant lore tied to Shadow of the Avatar?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 07:10:44 AM »

Shroud of the Avatar (the game Tracy Hickman wrote that book for) is intended to be a spiritual successor to the Ultima game series published by Origin Systems. Underworld Ascendant is intended to be a spiritual successor to the Ultima Underworld game series also published by Origin.  The Ultima IP is owned by Electronic Arts and neither project was allowed to license it directly.

Browncoat Jayson

• Digital Lycaeum
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 09:51:53 AM »

The novella for UA will actually involve dark elves leaving Novia (the land in Shroud of the Avatar) to come to the Stygian Abyss. I'm hoping we hear something about that soon.
Join me in New Britannia or in the Stygian Abyss!
http://SotAwiki.net            http://UnderWiki.com

curtwjen

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 10:18:31 AM »

Thank you both for the info and insight.

Backstory and lore that ties together different games and series has always been appealing to me.  It's one of the reasons I've been sticking with Ascendant.

It's the same reason I enjoyed playing the recent Bard's Tale 4.  Xile stayed true to the Bard's Take universe (loved navigating Skara Brae rendered in modern graphics).

TrenchKnife

• Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:09:49 PM »

Some conversation on this can be found here :

https://www.othersideentertainment.com/forum/index.php?topic=928.15

I had big hopes for cross media tie-ins beyond a book's story partly relating to game irrelevant topics. in a diluted far off description, the three play together; UA, SoTA, and the novel.

so I won't be finding clues in the book, or reading closure of UA abyss stories in Hickman's Novel. we also won't find much plot between any of the items.

I suspect it will be a good read just the same.

Dewi Morgan

• Yet another fanboy
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 11:22:24 PM »

You can also find a little about Pir Tama's rescue of the Dark Elves ingame. We can gather:

Pir Tama, (‘Peer Tah-mah’) was guided by Cabirus. She wielded a dagger, Pir Tama's Ire, to lead the rebellion of the Disenthralled Elves from their enthrallment to their wizard master, one of the Obsidian sorcerers who had formed their race to be their slaves.

She died young, but lived long enough to teach her people diplomacy and unity with the factions of the Underworld, welcoming their aid. She died "shortly" (though perhaps some years) after their arrival, in the act of sealing the portal through which they had escaped to the Underworld.

At least, that's the lore I could find, which I've written up at http://underwiki.com/wiki/Characters. Whether that is the truth the book tells, we can't know - our narrator ingame seems rather unreliable, and all characters have their own motivations and faction biases, so any amount of this could be misremembered, delusions, braggadocio, or even outright lies.

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Elf has Elven lore from the point of view of New Britannia, which mentions an "Obsidian Order", appearing to tie into this lore.
"re: kickstarter for the love of god I never want to do that again for video games." - Chris Siegel

JGteMolder

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 04:00:35 AM »

Ah, Shroud of the Avatar:

Would you like an Ultima like Ultima 4 to 8?

:) Yes.  :)

Created by the same creator?

:D Awesome!  :D

A sprawling RPG with a world and towns and NPCs where stuff works?

;D Bring it on!  ;D

Two months later: look at this MMO we're creating!

:-\ Wut?  :-\

Look at this player house, right next to everyone else's player house? And if you pay more, you can get a castle!

>:( FU, Richard.  >:(
Pages: [1]   Go Up